Redsminorleagues.com

Saturday, March 03, 2007

More on Josh Hamilton

Seriously, how can you not root for Josh Hamilton? He has a very dark past, but he is trying to turn his life around. Here are some quotes from various newspapers on Hamilton.

From John Fay and the Cincinnati Enquirer

"It was so sweet because it was the first one I hit in 4½ or 5 years," he said. "I wanted to smile so bad rounding second. I could hear (wife) Katie and the kids yelling."

"I was extremely happy."

This is from Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News

People still were talking Friday about Hamilton's Thursday home run, which cleared a 30-foot high batter's-eye wall above the center-field fence. It was written that it was the farthest ball Hamilton ever hit, but he disputed that Friday with a smile.

"I hit one when I was at Bakersfield (2002) that was actually measured at 549 feet," he said. "There was a dirt canal behind the ballpark, and it rained a couple days before so it was still kind of wet. They found it stuck in there and marked it off. It was pretty cool."