Redsminorleagues.com

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Reds.com has Minor League articles

There are two Minor League related articles on Reds.com right now.

Mark Sheldon wrote one centering around SS Paul Janish entitled No quit in Janish.

Mark Sheldon of Reds.com also wrote an article about Homer Baileys struggles today. Below are some quotes from it that I think are fairly important.

An example was when Bailey threw the changeup for a first pitch to Jose Hernandez in the second inning. Hernandez was way out in front and swung and missed.

Bailey tried the same pitch later in the at-bat with a full count on Hernandez.

"[I said] 'He's going to miss this one big time.' No, he fouled it off," Bailey said. "[I thought] 'You've got to be kidding me! How did you foul it off?'"

This is one reason I really hope Homer gets to spend his time in Louisville. Down there he will get to face more professional type hitters, who will make him work hard to get them out. They will fight off some of his better stuff and make him figure out how to pitch to these type of hitters, the types that Majors are full of. I think he would benefit greatly to learn this way. Plus, how nice is it that Homer was so confident in his once not so hot changeup that he threw it in a full count?

"If I'm [in the Majors] early this season, just like I'm working to be, there are going to be times I get hit around. So what?" Bailey said. "The sun is coming up the next day. What you do is learn by it. Some people are scared to death of making a mistake and looking bad out there. I personally don't care. You have to know what you need to do now."

Also good to see that he understands that you can't dominate every time you step onto the mound.

Take your time to read both article.

Bailey learning on the job

No quit in Janish