Redsminorleagues.com

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Milb.com 20 Questions with Carlos Fisher

www.milb.com

MiLB.com: You're an only child, but you had about 15 cousins who lived on the same street as you as a child. How was that?

Carlos Fisher: It was great. School-wise and with sports it helped a lot, because there was always someone there to play with, but I knew I could just go home if I ever wanted to be alone.

MiLB.com: How close in age were the bunch of you, and were sports always a part of your childhood?

CF: I had an uncle only three years older than me (laughs), and there were at least half a dozen of my cousins who were within a year of my age, so it was all about sports.

MiLB.com: How big was baseball for you as a kid?

CF: My mom played softball as her first sport, so baseball was the first sport she signed me up for. Her side is Mexican, so it was huge on that side. She and my grandmother are huge baseball fans.

MiLB.com: You mentioned your mom's side of the family, what about your dad's?

CF: All of them are from my mom's side. I have two girl cousins on my dad's, but they're big baseball fans (laughs).

MiLB.com: How organized were these family games? Did you have an assigned position, or were you all over the place?

CF: We always played all kinds of positions. I wasn't a pitcher until college, and I had an uncle who coached, so he knew it was a good thing to try different positions.

MiLB.com: Are you the only person from your family to make it into professional baseball?

CF: Yes, I'm the first one. My cousins played in high school, but it just never got to the point where anything came of it.

MiLB.com: Does that help humble you when you get caught up in the world of the pros?

CF: Oh sure, if times get tough out here, I just remind myself that there would be a bunch of guys at home who'd trade with me in a second. I'm very lucky to be where I am and I try not to forget it.

MiLB.com: Talk about how you were "discovered" and got into thinking about the Minors.

CF: I went to a small high school in Duarte, Calif., so there wasn't much attention there. About three weeks before my senior year ended, I started seeing scouts come around and ask questions. It was kind of a shock because I'd never had that before.

MiLB.com: So you were drafted out of high school?

CF: After high school and college. I decided to go to a junior college, then I transferred to a four-year school in Idaho. A small one, but I signed after my final season there.

MiLB.com: What was draft-day like?

CF: I'd been through it for three years before and it was my last chance, so I kind of was home by myself and didn't want to get my hopes up too much. I didn't hook my computer up, so every hour or so I'd run to my grandmother's next door and check. I found out when my aunt called me from her job (laughs).

MiLB.com: You were 22 when you were drafted. Any nerves, doubts, fears that popped into your mind?

CF: Definitely I had some nerves. Some guys get their chance at 18 and three or four years later they're in the Majors, but here I was thinking the pressure was more because I had less time to do the same thing.

MiLB.com: When did you make the move to the mound?

CF: My sophomore year in college. Now I look back and see I'm suited for the position. I'm a starter and I love it, but the only thing that bothers me is not being able to play everyday.

MiLB.com: The Major League All-Star Game was a few nights ago. How did you watch it?

CF: I caught the end of it. I wasn't really rooting for any one team but just more wanted to see everyone play. It was cool seeing all the big name guys at once.

MiLB.com: Who were your idols growing up?

CF: Ken Griffey Jr. ... as a kid we would all pick our guys to be during games and I was always Ken Griffey Jr.

MiLB.com: What do you miss most about being away from home?

CF: Just being around everyone. Sleeping in my own bed is nice, too. I miss always having a full house and seeing everyone on a daily basis.

MiLB.com: What is your favorite Minor League ballpark to play in?

CF: By far it's ours. Fifth Third Field (in Dayton, Ohio) is one of the nicest places in the Minors.

MiLB.com: If you could play one game in the big leagues, where would you play it?

CF: Dodger Stadium ... that's where I grew up watching baseball.

MiLB.com: What's your best baseball moment?

CF: Watching Kirk Gibson hit that home run in the World Series. I remember watching that as a kid, and I'll never forget that feeling.

MiLB.com: Finish this statement: If I weren't playing baseball, I'd be ...

CF: I'd probably be a firefighter.

MiLB.com: What's the weirdest thing you've seen a fan do?

CF: The thing I don't get it when there's a foul ball hit and you see grown men -- like in their 60s -- sprinting toward these balls. Then, after they practically knock over the little kids on their way, they just turn around and give it to them anyway. It's like, if you're going to go to all that trouble, at least keep the ball (laughs)!